Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 13:13:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Vadim Chekan <vadim@gc.lviv.ua>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PAM & non-root

pam_unix.so will require root access to authenticate against
/etc/master.passwd.  The solution is presumably for PAM to run in the
pwcheck daemon provided with Cyrus--I've never used the PAM support so
don't know much about it.  I use Kerberos 4 directly from Cyrus.  The
pwcheck daemon listens on a UNIX domain socket, running as root, and will
answer authentication queries coming from the Cyrus server running as the
cyrus user.

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Vadim Chekan wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to make port of latest cyrus-imap server. It supports PAM
> now.
> But imapd run as cyrus user. Is it possible to authenticate user using
> pam_unix.so by non-root user?
> From /usr/src/contrib/libpam/CHANGELOG
> * pam_pwdb can now verify read protected passwords when it is not run
>   by root.  This is via a helper binary that is setuid root.
>
> Where is this helper?
> Where can I get more information on this topic?
>
> Vadim Chekan.

  Robert N M Watson