Date:      Thu, 15 Sep 2011 01:25:17 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        chukharev@mail.ru
Cc:        "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Detecting dependencies

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

Thank YOU! this is a fine example of some of the better things that can
be done to ease a maintainers lifecycle of ports and administration of
systems.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:06:03AM +0300, chukharev@mail.ru wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> There have been a discussion about finding interdependencies of ports.
> I have a relatively simple Python script for that. There is a pr ports/16=
0007
> to add its early version. Unfortunately, I missed a reply to it, so there=
 is
> an issue which I have not yet addressed...
>=20
> Since that time, I added reverse dependencies with full ports tree scanni=
ng
> (1 h on my 2.5GHz notebook) and saving the tree (directed graph, actually)
> to a file, so that rescanning all ports tree is not needed.
>=20

A cache... awesome!

> See http://code.google.com/p/porttree/
>=20
> If there will be interest, scanning packages interdependencies could
> also be added.
>=20

Yes! I certainly am interested.

Idea Board:

1. Would be cool if this would work on already installed ports or packages
too! just a thought.

2. If it would detect the presence of UTF-8 in the LANG or LC_ALL
environment vars and use the appropriate drawing method for each rather
than a default to UTF-8. "I am happy with it as is though"

3. Also upon note (2) detect the presence of networkx and not depend on
it for your port and fall back to an ealier drawing method. "not sure
how well this would play out"

To be honest, I really wouldnt change anything about it from my
standpoint. Its simplicity compliments its use. Bravo & Kudo's!

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--