Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 1995 13:26:54 -0701 (PDT)
From:      Mike A Lyons <lyonsm@netbistro.com>
To:        "Eric S. Hvozda" <hvozda@netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mcd0 vs. ix0 [was: ix0 ok for Intel EtherExpres PRO?]

On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, Eric S. Hvozda wrote:

> Just got a Gateway 2000 P5-133 here.  IS set it up, so I have no
> hardware docs at all :-(  It has an ethernet card it in and the DOS
> driver reports it as a 'EtherExpress PRO' at 0x300.  It looks like ix0
> should do the trick, but it fails to find the card (I got everything
> else to work, even the ATAPI cdrom *shiver*).

> Anyone had experience with this beastie?  Hints?

Funny you should mention this.  :-)  This is a battle I am somewhat
familiar with.  (FreeBSD 2.0.5).

I've got a box I've thrown together here to be a small POP mail server.
(About two dozen users, UUCP feed for email).

About 80% of the time, from cold start, the EtherExpress (at 0x300, irq
10, all "fancy" features disabled) is incorrectly probed as a Mitsumi
CD-ROM controller.  It seems more likely to probe correctly upon warm
start, for some reason, but the Mitsumi driver still incorrectly claims
the network interface an annoying large percentage of the time.

The obvious solution is to build a kernel without the Mitsumi driver, and
I'll do it eventually; but this is the only FreeBSD box I have around at
the moment (rest are BSDi), and it's got a whopping 4MB of RAM and a 200MB
HD. :-)