Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:23:51 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running large DB's on FreeBSD

--Apple-Mail-2-856521675
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On Oct 23, 2006, at 7:01 PM, Mike Jakubik wrote:

>    So, first of all, am i crazy for choosing fbsd+mysql for this
> rather than something like Solaris + Oracle? :) Secondly, i am just
> looking for some suggestions, opinions, success/failure story's
> that may help me out. Is anyone out there using FreeBSD for
> something of this size? I am hoping that everything

First thing, choosing mysql for anything truly relational is a bit
crazy...  but your choice of FreeBSD is very sound, and your hardware
seems reasonable, except RAID5 is generally not the best choice for a
heavily written-to database.  You can't really compare mysql to
oracle at all, and mentioning them in the same breath sounds funny to
me...

Take a good look at postgres.  In the end, it really depends on your
workload and how much truly relational qork you're expecting the DB
to do.  If all you're using the DB for is a file store, you might as
well use mysql, but then you have to worry about all of your data
integrity in your application.  Personally, I prefer to put that
burden on the DB engine.

The size of your DB is not all that large.  There are people running
terabyte DB's under postgres.  Our big DB is around 60Gb with
hundreds of millions of rows spread across dozens of tables which are
regularly joined with each other for reports.  It is pounded on 24x7
with lots and lots of inserts, updates, and selects going on all the
time.

--Apple-Mail-2-856521675--