Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:54:33 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linksys WPC11 v4 and Netgear MA401RA Troubles

I've sold out and gone wireless. Well, I'm trying to go wireless. I
have a Thinkpad 600E running 5.1-RELEASE. I went over to Fry's and
picked up some cards. I got two listed in the Release Notes as
supported, the Linksys WPC11 and Netgear MA401. But I'm having
problems.

At first, nothing was working at all until I learned the magical,
hw.cbb.start_memory="0x2000000", incantation. Now NEWCARD actually
works.

I found my MA401 seems to work fine with OLDCARD on both 5.1 and
4.8. At least, it gets loaded up and ifconfig(8) sees it fine. Since
I've only ever had one card working, I don't have much of a network to
test on yet.

However, the MA401 is making trouble in NEWCARD, as in the system
locks up. Locks up hard. The only way out is to power cycle. Before I
found the miracle of hw.cbb.start_memory, the card didn't work, but it
didn't lock up the system either. The debug output looked like,

  pccard0: check_cis_quirks
  pccard0: CIS version PC Card Standard 5.0
  pccard0: CIS info: NETGEAR MA401RA Wireless PC, Card, ISL37300P, Eval-RevA
  pccard0: Manufacturer code 0xb, product 0x7300
  pccard0: function 0: network adapter, ccr addr 3e0 mask 1
  pccard0: function 0, config table entry 1: I/O card; irq mask ffff; iomask 6, iospace 0-3f; io16 irqpulse irq level
  pccard0: functions scanning
  pccard0: Card has 1 functions. pccard_mfc is 0
  pccard0: I/O rid 0 start 0 end ffffffff
  cbb_pcic_socket_enable:
  cbb0: cbb_power: CARD_VCC_0V and CARD_VPP_0V [44]
  cbb0: cbb_power: CARD_VCC_5V and CARD_VPP_VCC [15]
  pccard0: ccr_res == 20000000-200003ff, base=3e0
  pccard0: function 0 CCR at 0 offset 3e0: 41 80 22 ff, ff ff ff ff, ff
  pccard0: <unknown card> (manufacturer=0x000b, product=0x7300) at function 0
  pccard0:    CIS info: NETGEAR MA401RA Wireless PC, Card, ISL37300P

I can get the debug info with the hw.cbb.start_memory fixed over a
serial console if it would help.

Any advice on that one? If I limit it to OLDCARD, I think it would
work, but if it works there, it should work on NEWCARD too, shouldn't
it?

My other card, the WPC11 turned out to be a WPC11 version 4. Unlike
the Release Notes, the wi(4) manpage only mentions support for some
earlier versions. I found some old messages in the archives that this
card actually uses a completely different, and as yet, unsupported
chipset than the earlier versions, which were wi(4). Is there any
progress on that one or should I be taking it back and getting myself
something else? Here's some debug on it,

  cbb0: card inserted: event=0x00000000, state=30000920
  cbb0: cbb_power: CARD_VCC_0V and CARD_VPP_0V [44]
  cbb0: cbb_power: CARD_VCC_3V and CARD_VPP_VCC [11]
  TUPLE: LINKTARGET [3]: 43 49 53
  Manufacturer ID: 00004c02
  Functions: Network Adaptor, Multi-Functioned
  Function Extension: 0102
  Function Extension: 0280969800
  Function Extension: 0200e1f505
  Function Extension: 040600e04c390010
  TUPLE: DEVICE_OC [2]: 02 ff
  cardbus0: Opening BAR: type=IO, bar=10, len=0100
  cardbus0: Opening BAR: type=MEM, bar=14, len=0200
  CIS reading done
  cardbus0: Non-prefetchable memory at 20000000-200001ff
  cardbus0: IO port at 1000-10ff
  cardbus0: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
  cbb0: cbb_power: CARD_VCC_0V and CARD_VPP_0V [44]
  cbb0: CardBus card activation failed

Finally, a bit off-topic for mobile, but can anyone recommend a
relatively easy to find wireless PCI or ISA card for a 4_RELENG
system? I'd like to stick one in my firewall and use it as the access
point.