Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 11:41:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Motherboard & ChipSet pointers?

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Chris Shenton wrote:

> I'm looking to build out another FreeBSD box, with an emphasis on bang
> per buck. So I'm planning on going Cyrix-P166+, rather than Intel...
> The Cyrix-P200+ seems like more bang for a *lot* more bucks at this time.
> If I'm outta line on this, feel free to clue me in.
>
> In the past, folks here have spoken highly of Asus and Tyan
> motherboards; I've been surfing their webs trying to determine which
> product from each has what features. Any recommendations on either?
> Dual CPU support might be of interest if the incremental cost is
> small, but I understand Cyrix doesn't yet operate in a dual mode. Any
> other motherboard brands I should consider? Reliability and
> performance are key.

If you're thinking about dual CPUs, I think that any of the Cyrix
processors will be permanently out of the running.  See, they decided to
go a different route with the interrupt handling, which is central to
running multiple CPUs.  The hardware to make the Cyrix CPUs multiprocess
isn't there.

> I'm ignorant of which chipset does what, and what is desirable for
> FreeBSD. E.g., What's the Intel HX and VX do, and which should I
> prefer?  What's flavor of the month?
>
> If you've got resource pointers so I can come up to speed on this, I'd
> appreciate it. There's a Ham-fest this weekend and I'd like to go into
> it more knowledgeable than I am now :-)
>
> Thanks.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |