Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 21:48:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>
To:        mcwong@imail.com (M.C Wong)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Writing buffer overwrite on FreeBSD ?

M.C Wong wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> With reference to http://www.l0pht.com/advisories/bufero.html, I wonder
> if anyone manage to make 2nd cut of the program used in the tutorial
> (syslog_test_2.c) throws out a SIGTRAP ? Similarly for the 3rd cut and
> the final program which runs smoothly from begining to end and not
> causing any error. Am I reading the codes wrongly ?
>
> I understand the code was originally written on BSDI system but thought
> the similarity between it and FreeBSD should exhibit the same bahaviour
> when executing the codes. Not!
>
> Have someone had any experience in writing similar buffer overun test
> code that actually works on a FreeBSD box ?
>
> Appreciate sharing of such information if available.

This was a bug in syslog() sme time ago and has been fixed since
1995/09/15:
revision 1.4
date: 1995/09/15 13:53:39;  author: peter;  state: Exp;  lines: +86 -18
Fix security bugs with a "new approach", using stdio's powerful buffer
control hooks.
It is similar to an unrolled multi-part snprintf(), in that a "FILE *" is
attached to a string buffer.  There is also an optimisation for the case
where the syslog format string does not contain %m, which should improve
performance of "informational" logging, like from ftpd.

-Guido