Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:01:15 +1000
From:      David Burren <davidb@redsheriff.com>
To:        "A. Smith" <static@cybertours.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 pcmcia card setup

"A. Smith" wrote:

> I've got an IBM laptop that I'm trying to set up as a firewall/router...I've
> got 2 very similar Linksys PCMCIA cards in it, and regardless of which card
> I insert first, the SECOND card gives me an error saying "no free
> configuration available". The first card works fine, regardless of what card
> or what slot I use.

Does the problem only occur with two cards of the same type, or does it
occur with _any_ two cards?

I suspect this is pccardd trying to allocate an IRQ to the card.  It
might be I/O space as you mention, but I had similar problems with
4.2-RELEASE on a Libretto that were related to IRQs.

Examine the output of dmesg to see what IRQs are used.  If the "irqs"
list in /etc/defaults/pccard.conf does not match your _available_ IRQs,
override it in /etc/pccard.conf

Hope this helps
__
David Burren