Date:      10 Oct 1998 05:07:25 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        perry@zso.dec.com (Reginald Perry)
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PC Magazine 10/20/1998 Article about FreeBSD

perry@zso.dec.com (Reginald Perry) writes:
> The problem is that the author asserted that the reason FreeBSD+Apache did
> not get those gains is because of a cache problem with FreeBSD+Apache. In
> order to back that statement up there needed to be another set of data
> showing max ops/second vs. amount of RAM and then some text stating that
> they talked to someone associated with FreeBSD who indeed verifyed that it
> was a cache problem.

I think it must have been part misunderstanding and part
misexpression. The cause for the difference is (as far as I've
understood) not a "cache problem in Apache + FreeBSD" but rather the
fact that IIS4 caches documents aggressively (memory permitting) in
order to look good in benchmarks. Apache doesn't, because it doesn't
work on a real-life high-traffic site and it's not worth it on a small
low-traffic site...

<tangent>
Interestingly, I ran into Gisle Hannemyr (founder of Norway's first
commercial ISP) earlier today in a lab at Uni; he was busy scanning a
box of Pep (a retired brand of detergent) to make icons for a "file
washer" program he maintains (called pep), and I was busy rebooting
one of my test boxes after a make world (which hadn't run to
completion, but that's a different story). He's always been a BSD fan,
and keeps recommending FreeBSD to customers when he does consulting (I
think he switched over from BSDI). I mentioned the benchmark; he said
he was regularly impressed by FreeBSD's performance and especially its
network throughput. Not bad coming from the guy who used to Norway's
number one expert on commercial Internet solutions.

BTW, Gisle has a very interesting home page (he calls it a virtual
workbook): <URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/>. I especially recommend
the nerd test.
</tangent>

DES (it's been a loooong day...)