Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:39:31 -0500
From:      Jack Rusher <jar@rci.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: downed IP addresses/redundancy

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> You have multiple customers on two boxes, each customer gets 2
> IP address and you lolad balance between the two.

Ah!  I see your difficulty.  I was thinking about availability; you
were thinking about load balancing.

> Some customers may wish to run thier own sql servers, they should
> only bind to the IP address on each machine that they own.
>
> The customer can't fail over properly because even when the alias
> for the box that dies comes up, thier daemon won't get requests on
> the added IP.

You have worse trouble than that.  If you are running an order/entry
database, you don't want the service to fail over to the second
machine without remote synchronization of the data.  Otherwise, you
end up with two databases that have entries that compete for the same
serial numbers.  No one likes hand merging orders.  :-)  This also
makes it important that the database only ever run on one machine at
a time.  You would want to start the database on the machine that
holds the service net address, right after you do the ifconfig to
bring up that address on the secondary's interface.

Can you give me some more complete scenarios?  I am interested in
your problem.

Yours,

--
Jack Rusher, Chief Engineer | mailto:jar@integratus.com