Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 07:58:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Mahoney <dmahoney@pe.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.1 freezes every few hours - vmdaemon?

Greetings, all.  I've running a web server (FreeBSD 3.1,
Apache 1.3.9).  The machine had been running 2.2.8 for over
a year with no problem, but when I had to install a larger
hard drive I decided to also move to 3.1, so I did a clean
install of 3.1 (not an upgrade).  After installing 3.1 the
machine ran cleanly for a couple of weeks, but a few days
ago it started freezing a couple of times a day to as often
as 4 or 5 times a day.

When it freezes it stops serving up web pages, though
httpd still shows up in ps, it stops responding to ftp
requests though inetd still appears to be running, then
it finally stops responing to ssh requests.  All through
this it continues to respond to pings, so I guess the kernel
isn't panicing.

I've got a monitor process on another machine that pulls
some web pages periodically to do some system monitoring.
Earlier this monrning just before the system froze again
the system monitor pages (using SSI to call ps, top, etc)
showed vmdaemon using up 74% of the CPU time!  I am *not*
accustomed to seeing that!

This server is located 500 miles away from me, so when it
locks up my only recourse is to call someone at the NOC to
go shutdown my machine, or kill the power.  Neither of those
options are things I want to do 5 times a day.  ANy ideas
where my problem might be coming from, or suggestions as
to where I might look next?