Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:07:52 +0930
From:      "Rob" <listone@deathbeforedecaf.net>
To:        "Jamie" <jamie@gnulife.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Patching source in a port

Any patches named files/patch-* in the port's directory will be applied
as the port is built. So you should be able to add your patch and do a
'make clean build' to create patched binaries.

You can also 'make patch' to just apply the patches, then inspect the
results under the work directory.

Have a look at file:/usr/share/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/index.html
for all the details.