Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 18:57:36 -0400
From:      Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI tape speed

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who uses DAT drives on a DPT SCSI
controller, preferrably with FreeBSD 4.1 and an Intel system.

I find the speed is very slow, and I know in the past these drives were fine
with FreeBSD, though I can't remember which release now.  With my most recent
install of FreeBSD 4.1, I am lucky to get 3MB/minute on a drive and controller
combination that I know can hit 45MB/min.

Right now, with NetBSD on an old Sparc 5, they still get 20MB/min or better.

No errors, even large restores are perfect, but take many hours to finish.

The controller I have is a DPT-2044W, and it currently has the ROM version DPT
suggested for use with tape drives.  The drives in question are an Archive
Python 4-tape robot and a Seagate Scorpion.  Both are DDS2 drives.

No load on the DPT except for tapes and a CD-ROM burner.

I haven't been able to find much information on this particular setup, and
most tape woes seem error related, or related to another platform.

--
 "Those who trade liberty for security will have neither --          | | |