Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2011 10:47:10 +0000
From:      Dr Josef Karthauser <josef.karthauser@unitedlane.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xen, and "ops_pv" boot loader?

Hello everyone,

I'm beginning to play with Freebsd and Xen, and I'm targeting a VPS =
provider who is giving me a large memory instance for a good price. =
However, he only supports "ops_pv" kernels, being primarily a linux =
house.

So, I'm trying to work out what the best approach is. Ideally I'd be =
running amd64, but he doesn't want to run an hvmloader. I guess that =
means that I need to be running an i386 kernel; hopefully PAE works so =
that I take advantage of the memory.

However, this appears to be an inflexible solution. Doesn't it mean that =
I will have no ability to tweak kernel variables, because effectively =
once it's setup he will control the boot process - I'll also not be able =
to upgrade the kernel easily. Also, no access to single user mode... =
Ideally I want a boot loader....

So, I was thinking. How do we make the boot loader appear to Xen to be a =
paravirtualized kernel? Currently it isn't even an elf object, but what =
it is was. How much work do you think that it might be to make a "loader =
kernel" that appears to be a kernel, but in fact is a boot strap. The =
idea being that it could be run as a "ops_pv" kernel on a Xen platform =
but otherwise behave exactly like our boot loader, processing =
loader.conf, and booting a kernel in the normal way.

Does anyone have any idea of whether that's a possibility? Or, is there =
something fundamental about the pv_ops model that would prevent this?

If this were possible we could boot the amd64 XENHVM kernel in a pv_ops =
manner, with full control of the kernel configuration.

Hmm...

Joe