Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 15:10:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        peter@nmti.com, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help! Pinnacle Micro Recordable CD!

Rodney W. Grimes writes:

> The code is green yet, but we do now have /sys/scsi/worm.c:
>
> /*
>  * worm: Write Once device driver
>  *
>  * Copyright (C) 1995, HD Associates, Inc.
>  * PO Box 276
>  * Pepperell, MA 01463
>  * 508 433 5266
>  * dufault@hda.com
>  *
>  * This code is contributed to the University of California at Berkeley:
> /* XXX This is PRELIMINARY.
>  *
>
> It was specifically added for Jordan, but since it is so hard for him
> to pull one of the Production CDR drives away I doubt it has had much
> test time on it.
>
> The person to talk to about the code is Peter Dufault, email address
> is above.

Hook it up, boot -current with "device worm0 at scbus?" (you need
the scbus for config to figure out it is a SCSI device) and see if
it comes on line during boot up and if you can write to the thing.
Then start filing bug reports: it is completely untested.

Justin and I kicked around some ideas about having SCSI I/O priority
queues deriving their priority from the fixed priority scheduler
that should let you possibly even run the worm during normal
operation.  It is primarily for tagged queueing support but has a
side effect of giving you good I/O response for time critical I/O.
I plan on working on that eventually but have a few things to clear up
first.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936