Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:06:26 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fonts have gone insane

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> Florent Thoumie wrote:
> > On Jan 14, 2008 5:54 PM, Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> For what ever reason I only appear to have 10 "real" fonts (even the
> >> 30 or 40 are listed) additionally xfce4 (see attached screenshot) uses
> >> completely the wrong fonts (some indivual apps seem to be fine [but
> >> there appears to be no ryhm or reason on why one works and an other
> >> ones doesn't]).   Even for fonts that "work" xfce4 displays them as
> >> all italic.  I have erased all the for dirs/files in my home dir and
> >> it used to work until I did a buildworld about 72 hours ago off a
> >> fresh local cvs repo.   I also did a complete reinstall of all ports
> >> (portupgrade -afk).   Any ideas on how to fix it?
> > Tried 'rm -rf /var/db/fontconfig && fc-cache -v' as root?
>
> No effect

I'm in the same boat here. It would seem that all of the fonts in my
GTK/GNOME apps are messed up now and I am left with replacements of some
core fonts. Seems to have coincided with some recent portupgrade, but I
can't figure out what has done it. I recently upgraded
x11-toolkits/gtk20 but the original poster mentions xfce...

Trying to rebuild/install fontconfig...

I tried the above removal of the /var/db/fontconfig directory which
helped out none.

--
Coleman Kane