Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:27:21 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster and restarting of upgraded daemons

Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 07:48:23AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
>>On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 02:52:35PM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>>
>>>I am almost new to portmaster, so I got a question - is there any
>>>possibility to restart installed services as in portupgrade with defined
>>>BEFOREBUILD / BEFOREDEINSTALL / AFTERINSTALL? Or is there any future plan
>>>to do so? It is annoying if I end up with some dead services after upgrade
>>>just because I forgot to manualy do /usr/local/etc/rc.d/some_daemon restart
>>
>>This is more a complaint about the existing ports infrastructure, as
>>IMHO, it's something that should be handled there and not necessarily by
>>"third-party" port management utilities.
>>
>>Some existing ports (such as smartmontools, i.e. smartd) do this, while
>>others (such as postfix) do not.
>

> There is an @stopdaemon facility which can be used in the plist.  In
> fact, it might be a smart idea to remove the way smartmontools does it
> and replace it with @stopdaemon for consistency sake.
>

>>There are pros and cons to what you want.  I myself have never managed
>>to conclude if the pros outweigh the cons -- or vice-versa -- but I have
>>thought about it before.
>

> Personally, I do not want anything stopping or starting services on it's
> own.  That is something that I, as an administrator, should be handling.
> Of course others are entitled to disagree.  :)

If I am upgrading just one port, I can restart it manualy, but if I do
someting like `portmaster -a`, it is long running job and I do not want
to wait and check for each port when it is right time to manualy restart
the daemon.
So I think portmaster can have some hooks to call user defined code
(sourced from portmaster.rc?) before or after install routine.

> With that said, it may be interesting to have a knob which allows for
> services to be started right away if desired by the user, and if the
> port supports such a situation (ie: it does not require any
> configuration after the install).  The default for the user-defined knob
> would be off, for at least POLA reasons.

Miroslav Lachman