Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:25:36 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.co.uk>, fmc@reanimators.org, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD PCNet/FAST cards; suppliers?

> I may be using a wrong term here.  The interface probed successfully
> as lnc0 during the ISA device probes after having been probed and
> discarded as lnc1 during the PCI setup.  That sounds like ISA
> emulation to me, but again, I'm no expert on the two bus specs or the
> chipset.

That's odd.  Initially I wondered if it was just that it took two
probes to find the device (the first failing, but having side effects
that let the second work), but when you disabled the first I concluded
that there was something more interesting involved.

> >I'll send you a driver to try later.
>
> The driver you sent me works without a hitch (so far).  This driver
> does what I expect a pure PCI driver would do: the interface probes on
> lnc1 as a PCI device and the subsequent probe at the ISA port fails.

Is this a completely new driver, or just a variation on the existing
one?