Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2017 11:30:26 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Subject: Thunderbird causing system crash, need guidance

On 12/11/17 05:58, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 21:56:16 -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:
>> On 12/10/17 19:02, Adam Vande More wrote:
>>> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:
  <snip>
>> However, I'm confused.
>> Upon reboot, the system checks to see if file systems were properly
>> dismounted and is supposed to do an fsck.  Since those don't show up
>> in messages, I can't verify this, but I'm pretty certain it must have
>> thought it was clean, which it wasn't.  (One reason I'm pretty certain
>> is the time involved when run manually as you suggested).
>
> This is the primary reason for setting
>
> 	background_fsck="NO"

Already had that set for just that reason.

> in /etc/rc.conf - if you can afford a little downtime.
> The background fsck doesn't have all the repair capabilities
> a forced foreground check has, to it _might_ leave the file
> system in an inconsistent state, and the system runs with
> that unclean partition.
>
>> The file system in question was mounted below "/".
>> Does the system only auto-check file systems mounted at "/"?
>
> Yes, / is the first file system it checks. The two last
> fields in /etc/fstab control what fsck will check, and
> /etc/rc.conf allows additional flags for those automatic
> checks.

The ordering part I understand; what I don't understand is why it (as I
recall) rebooted successfully with no warnings in spite of the
background_fsck="NO" being set and when one of the disks apparently
didn't fsck properly.  I thought it should have halted in single-user
mode and waited for me to do a full fsck manually.  Unfortunately, the
fsck output is not printed to the log, and I logged in as root on the vt0
device, so it had scrolled off by the time I went to look for it.  A
good reason never to log into the vt0 device.  Is there any way to get
the "transient" boot-time fsck and other messages recorded in the log?

Gary