Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:38:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: smbfs

> Has anyone done work on smbfs for FreeBSD?

Yes, off an on.  See the -hackers and -current list archives for
"SMBFS".  Pay special attention to the security model problems
between "per request credentials" vs. "per connection credentials"
with regard to multiuser systems.  CIFS resolves some of this by
supporting "per request credentials" via Kerberos tickets.  The
LanMan protocols prior to CIFS had serious issues which could only
be addressed through a much more complex session management
facility (which no one but Novell has written yet).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.