Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:01:49 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <stest030@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        jferrillo@comcast.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD CD Distribution

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if it is legal to distribute your iso files on CD-rom.

Yes.  Unlike most Linux distributions, FreeBSD is actually free.
The FreeBSD copyright ( http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/index.html )
is short and basically says you can do whatever you want with it as
long as you put the FreeBSD copyright notice on the result and don't
blame anyone but yourself for the results.

> I would like to offer them for sale as a service for people without
> broadband connections.  Basically, I would be downloading the iso's
> from your site and offer the service of distribution thru ebay for a
> reasonable sum.  This sum would cover my cost of handling, packaging,
> and shipping.  I have done this for Linux distributions in the past but
> have run into some trouble with US companies stating that I have no
> right to sell their distros in such manner.  Please advise on this
> issue.  Thanks!

While it is technically legal, you will be competing with others
who already do the same (e.g. see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors.html#AEN27455 )
and most (if not all) of whom donate a portion of their profits back
to supporting FreeBSD development (see http://www.freebsdfoundation.org ).

And just for the record, I'm just a FreeBSD user.  I don't officially
represent the project in any way.

- Bob