Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:42:38 +0100
From:      Orion Hodson <O.Hodson@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        "rat-users@cs.ucl.ac.uk" <rat-users@cs.ucl.ac.uk>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rat & FreeBSD-4.1

<3980B843.FCC0FDB1@isi.edu>Lars Eggert writes:
> > I committed a change last weekend that checks whether the driver is
> > pcm or newpcm, and moderates it's behaviour accordingly.  I've not had
> > time (or access) to check this with other hardware yet.  If you want
> > to play the repository is anonymously accessible:
> >
> >         http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/software/cvsanon.html
>
> The error message was from a CVS-built rat - do I need to set any flags to
> enable your patches?

No.  Comparing error messages reported against the current rat cvs
code indicates open(O_RDWR) fails - "device busy".

Assuming device is not already in use, it suggests the driver is half
duplex.  Are you able to 'cat /dev/audio' immediately before and after
getting this error message?  What is the output of 'cat /dev/sndstat'?

BTW, Luigi's pcm driver had CARDS and README to give an insight into
cards tested by developers, reports from users, the documentation was
used, known problems, things todo, etc.  Is there anything like this
for newpcm?

cheers
- o.