Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 14:17:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mysterious crashes of FreeBSD gateway -- caugh it(?)

On Tue, 28 May 1996, Andrew V. Stesin wrote:

> When a Compex ReadyLink (DEC 21041-based) PCI ethernet was replaced
> by a random NE2000, the trouble almost gone -- the box was up for
> some days, just Ok.

Someone has noted that recent Compex's don't work well with FreeBSD.
That may clear up some of your random crashes.

> When doing a massive TCP transfers to the 1.1.5-connected subnet,
> or even ping -f, a high network load was inspired on a gateway
> machine (receive a packet -- forvard it -- send redirect).
> NE2000 worked fine, but NCR driver started to through messages
> about I/O errors, "NCR dead", etc.  Then gateway rebooted itself.

I wonder if you have a resource conflict between the NCR and your
ethernet card.  My NCR may be broke but I had to manually set the IRQ in
the PC BIOS.  Make sure that the ethernet card and the NCR aren't sharing
resources.