Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 14:42:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail: mail loops back to myself

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Doug White wrote:

> I keep getting messages back from MAILER_DAEMON about messages that loop
> back to myself.
>
> How do I fix these?
>
> Someone else posted and I didn't get a response.
>
> My machine's name is `riley-net170-164' wiht a CNAME to `gdi'.

	your machine's sendmail does not recognize its own name ;)  take
a look at the Cw macro in /etc/sendmail.cf.   you will need to add all
the names that your machine is known by.   freefall's sendmail know's
itself by many names, so many that they are listed in a file rather than
in /etc/sendmail, consequently we use Fw instead of Cw.

2 ways to do this:

1.

in /etc/sendmail.cf
Cwlocalhost freefall.freebsd.org freefall.cdrom.com <all the rest>

2.

in /etc/sendmail.cf

Cwlocalhost
Fw-o /etc/sendmail.cw

freefall jmb[104] more /etc/sendmail.cw
localhost
freebsd.org
freefall.freebsd.org
freefall.cdrom.com
sup.freebsd.org
www.freebsd.org
freebsd.com

	then kill sendmail and restart it.  check for sendmail options in
/etc/sysconfig (-bd -q30m usually).

Jonathan M. Bresler        FreeBSD Postmaster         jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
play go. ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life
i am moving to a new job.                 PLEASE USE: jmb@FreeBSD.ORG