Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:21:15 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

> You are all morons.  It is painfully obvious we cannot make do with

God Dag to you too!

> anything less than flobbosecond resolution, or we will seriously lose
> when we transition to 7-dimensional computation lattices and find that
> quadron fluctuations in the quantum phase-shift matrix is affecting
> make(1)s ability to correctly determine whether Richard Stallman is,
> in fact, Jesus reincarnate.  Are we done with the bikeshed yet?  Let's

Let me guess.  If you haven't encountered a problem it can't
be real, right?

> have those 64-bit time_ts now, please, and a coffee to go.  Black,
> please, with two lumps.

As I have already said in an earlier email:

- leave time_t at 32 bit on all freebsd machines
- add nstime64_t that has ns resolution and will work for 584 years.
- add zstime128_t *if* people want higher resolution and to
  represent longer timespan

I don't want to have to change a bunch of exiting programs
just because someone decided change time_t to a 64 bit
quantity.  That is why I would really prefer a new typename
for a 64 time type.

For file timestamps nstime64_t seems adequate to me for reasons
I gave before -- may be mtime/atime/utime type should not be
called time_t either.  What the kernel does to accurately
represent time is kernel's business but that kernel time type
should not be considered time_t.  But I don't believe a
single time type can fit all so I am for multiple
<resolution>time<size>_t types.

Also, this is problem is not peculiar to FreeBSD and I really
hope you (core) guys try to come to some consensus with other
OS groups.