Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 2015 07:52:21 -0600
From:      Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best way to start pkg daemons that don't come with their own rc script

So, for the concrete example.

FreeBSD10.2
I want to run ntp-devel

So I install it out of pkg and it goes into /usr/local.

But it doesn't supply a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ntpd rc script.
Presumably because /etc/rc.d/ntpd already exists for the system
installed ntpd.

What I tried was to move the ntpd rc out of /etc into /usr/local/etc
and change the 'command' to /usr/local/sbin/${name}

BUT, the rc.subr code pretty much overrides that to run /usr/sbin/${name}
anyway.

Since ntpd is part of the base system, I feel stymied.

I did a hack to make it work.

But what would be the "proper FreeBSD way" to have the rc script run
the right binary here?