Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 1996 18:03:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, randyk@ccsales.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Login Name Length

> On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > > What limits the length of user logins to 8 characters and how might this
> > > be changed? We need 15 or more.
> >
> > Modify the header file and rebuild the world.
> >
> > Note hat you will break interoperability with standard wire protocols,
> > like YP, if you change the length of the name field.  If you can live
> > with that, and you have enough room to rebuild the world, go for it.
> >

> 	Just curious, but if the machine I did this on were only a
> ypclient, I would assume that there wouldn't be any problems, as the server
> would still only send an 8char userid.  Is this a correct assumption, and
> if not, why not?

It's not because the structure size will have changed.

You will need to define a seperate structure for wire format and convert
it on the way in if you wish to do this type of thing.

Probably this would be a good generic thing for YP in any case; I could
see wanting to put client code on a non-UNIX box at some time in the
future (like Windows95 or WindowsNT), and the structure definition
should be local to the YP implementation for that.

This would mean a little work and some extra copying on your part; I
don't know if anyone has already done this work -- I don't think so,
since it would still make the hacked box unusable as a YP master or
slave (as opposed to client).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---