Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:22:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Sean Farley <sean@farley.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RELENG_7 DVD drive access in AHCI/SATA mode

--56599777-2066053823-1193264567=:39560

I have recently assembled a new system with a SATA DVD drive.
Unfortunately, it seems to not be supported FreeBSD 7:

ata7: <ATA channel 5> on atapci0
ata7: SATA ATAPI devices not supported yet
ata7: [ITHREAD]

I am using software (BIOS) RAID on a P5K-E/WiFi (Intel P35 chipset)
board.  Sadly, the option to manually configure the DVD drive is only
available when in IDE mode.

In the interim, is it possible to force the drive to IDE (really UDMA)
mode?  I tried a few attempts at the kernel source to force it to UDMA33
at the point of the warning in ata-chipset.c, but these resulted in
panics.

On a related note, I wrote a tiny patch[1] to add ICH9R detection.
Functionally, this does not change anything since the board was being
detected as ICH8 which has the same functionality (SATA300).  I sent
this to Søren, but I think he is probably busy at this time.

Sean
   1. http://www.farley.org/freebsd/tmp/ata-chipset.c.diff
--
sean@farley.org
--56599777-2066053823-1193264567=:39560--