Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2013 17:49:00 +0200
From:      Patrick Lamaiziere <patfbsd@davenulle.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, "Chris H" <bsd-lists@1command.com>
Subject:   Re: Please remove Perl from ports

Le Thu, 1 Aug 2013 08:31:45 -0700 (PDT),
"Chris H" <bsd-lists@1command.com> a écrit :

> Greetings,
>  I currently manage several RELENG_8 servers. Recent changes in the
> manner in which base && ports must be managed have resulted in more
> than a fair amount of grief. the migration from cv(sup) --> subversion
> required re-working long standing, carefully crafted management
> procedures to be pitched to the trash, and re-invented. A recent
> change to the Perl installation structure presents an entire new set
> of headaches, rendering up(grading|dating) near, if not completely
> impossible.

that's not new. A perl upgrade was always painful.
I suggest to use poudriere to build yours packages and pkgng to
manage them. As poudriere produces a consistent set of packages,
an upgrade is painless (pkg upgrade -f) and you can deploy them on
several machines.

In fact poudriere and pkg saved me :)

Regards.