Date:      Wed, 04 May 2005 18:46:20 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot banner project

Brian Candler wrote:

> > > Except:
> > >
> > > (1) it's not enabled by default (you need "set autolist", which I only
> > >     discovered recently)
> >
> > FreeBSD-5.3 (with csh & tcsh) linked does completion without autolist set.
> > man csh:
> >        If the autolist shell variable is set, the shell  lists  the  remaining
> >        choices (if any) whenever completion fails:
>
> Erm?? As you point out, it says "If the autolist shell variable is set"

Tab completion is on by default: Works without needing to know to set autolist.

> Why does root have /bin/csh as its shell?

Probably because we have BSD inheritance, not AT&T Posix.
Csh vi & ^Z job control were all available around 1980 or so I recall, &
were part of what made people keen on BSD.
Right or wrong, if it changed now, it'd cause suprise to existing users.
Linux is an orphan, & free to switch shells at will. BSD has inheritance.

-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.