Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:13:57 -0500
From:      Jim Pingle <lists@pingle.org>
To:        Marten Vijn <info@martenvijn.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.0-rc2 dropped hardsupport

Marten Vijn wrote:
> Support for the following devices seems not to be continued in 8.0 (and
> 7.2 and higher):
>
> - WRAP 1C
> - WRAP 2E (EOL)
> - ALIX 1C
>
> Both devices stopped booting as described in several postings and pr's.
>
> My question/suggestion to announce this in the
>> 7.2 and 8.0 release notes. (or better to fix the issues)

Sorry for the late reply, but I may have a lead on some of these issues.

NanoBSD is used for the embedded versions of pfSense now, and so we've
had a lot of users of ALIX/WRAP/etc giving it a workout.

Take a look at some of the articles I've written so far based on
information myself and others have collected.

http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/NanoBSD_on_WRAP
http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/ALIX_BIOS_Update_Procedure
http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Boot_Troubleshooting (First few items)

It seems on the ALIX boards with VGA, you need to set a BIOS option for
power management to APM, which gets it past the freeze at devd.

Also, we've been running kernels with the geode.c rev 1.11 mentioned
elsewhere in this thread for months patched against 7.2-RELEASE and it
works great for most ALIX models, but according to our users it does not
seem to offer any additional support for the models with a VGA BIOS
(LEDs and such still are not usable). Apparently they use an Award BIOS
and not TinyBIOS.

Hope this helps,
Jim