Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:58:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        Jeff Wyman <wysoft@wysoft.tzo.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to makeyerkernels

> > I'm starting to wonder why people continue to drag this message on, it's
> > just astounding.
> >
> > It's been well explained by many. It should be pretty clear now what you
> > need to do in order to get a kernel working under the condition that
> > either you:
> >
> >  - Are upgrading by source and need to work around older tools that have
> >    not yet been replaced by newly built tools.
> >
> >  - Are on an established system and simply building a plain old kernel.
> >
> > And I agree with others when they say that if you're going to complain
> > about the process, either you need to understand it better, or contribute
> > by creating a new, better process.
> >
> > What is everybody else missing?
>
> It is neither explained in /usr/src/UPDATING, nor in the above HEADS UP
> message.
>
> A clear explanation, including all steps, would be helpful. The step
> missing from the original HEADS UP is you have to move kernel.GENERIC to
> kernel BEFORE you reboot. This is not done automatically for you.
>
> Just my .02 Euro
> -Christoph Sold

It doesn't include a list of detailed information, but an exact copy of the
procedure actually *is* in /usr/src/UPDATING, including the need to
move the kernel from /YOURNAME to /kernel and how to do it. If it
wasn't for this info, I know I wouldn't have been able to build a new
kernel myself  :)  Pasted it below:

        To build a kernel
        -----------------
        cd /usr/src
        # If you have not already done so, please buildworld here
        # You will also need to update your config file to 4.0.  Usually
        # people tend to start with GENERIC from 4.0 and hack from there.
        make buildkernel KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
        make installkernel  KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
        # Verify that the new kernel works, it will be installed as
        # /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        chflags noschg /kernel
        chflags noschg /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        mv /kernel /kernel.old