Date:      18 Oct 1999 14:45:10 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot mount root Panic

Herbert M Pollard <hpollard@jps.net> writes:

> During install at the partition editor I got a message stating that I was
> outside 1024 limit. Did you get any similar message? I didn't think scsi had
> that limitation.

I don't think that SCSI has this limitation, no.  About the 1024 limit now, it
seems that the FreeBSD loading process still honors this deprecate 'feature'
of some older BIOSes that would not load anything above 1024 cylinders.

With the 'modern' BIOes this might not be the truth, but FreeBSD machines with
i386 or i486 processors still exist out there.  Perhaps it is time that the
booting process changes a bit.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"That field hath eyen, and the wood hath ears." [Geoffrey Chaucer, 1328-1400]