Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 15:52:57 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *sigh* Anyone else see this article?

At 2:59 PM -0400 5/8/98, Open Systems Networking wrote:
>  This is just getting depressing :)
>
>  http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/12187.html

Given that you have the smiley there, I imagine you're not really all that
depressed about it.  And certainly I see no reason to be unhappy about it.
I prefer FreeBSD over linux, but I'll go with any open-source operating
system over being locked into some closed, proprietary system.

If linux becomes huge and FreeBSD as a project loses "critical mass" to
keep it going, we can all switch over to working on Linux and making it do
the things we need to have it do.  This is a good thing.

The more companies go with the open-source idea, the easier it is to
convince companies to try operating systems such as linux or freeBSD.  When
advocating freeBSD, we need to keep in mind why we want to advocate it, and
not feel like we have to tear down alternate projects which have some of
the same basic goals.  I want to advocate *for* something, not against
"everything else".

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute