Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 20:46:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Don's FList drop" <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <freyes@i-2000.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtual screen. One last question

On Sat, 26 Aug 1995, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> When I tried to run MAKEDEV by itself nothing happened.
> When I tried to run MAKEDEV with the device name (ttyv4?) it
> didn't work either.
>
> What parameter should I send to MAKEDEV after having
> changed /etc/ttys?

I believe that it's a shell programming restriction, but the virtual
terminals aren't created by passing their proper name to MAKEDEV. Instead
you need to use MAKEDEV vty#, where # is the number you want. (DON'T use
a or b if you decide to make device 11 or 12 - it makes the shell go
freaky-freaky, uses up all the swap... it's pretty neat. use vty11 and
vt12)