Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 08:34:18 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        John McLaughlin <John.McLaughlin@Acucobol.IE>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yet another Adaptec 2940UW problem :(

At 12:35 PM 4/23/97 +0100, John McLaughlin wrote:

>>> We have had a *lot* of difficulty with the former.  If the chip
>>> says 2940AU, it would be wise to stay away for the moment.  This
>>> info is from about a month back.  Things might have changed.
>
> > I found that enabling the "Plug and Play SCAM support" in the
> > card's BIOS (even if your devices dont necessarily support it),
> > helps a lot for that model...
>
>	I tried that on one for a 2.2.1-RELEASE install (I'd always
>used 2940's before with much joy), but with no success, so it doesn't
>appear to be a general workaround. I replaced it with a Tekram 390U,
>which made both the kernel and me happier. I would say avoid, unless
>it's been sorted out in the latest snapshot, though it does still
>appear to be severly crippled in comparison to previous 2940s.

I should have qualified that with "... helps mostly for the situations
where at a soft reboot, the card refuses to see the disk drives"...  Yeah,
we too are giving up on Adeptec.  Currently I am experimenting with a ASUS
875... For about $80 Canadian less than the regular Adaptec (I bought it
for $160 CDN), I get an Ultra Wide controller, that so far seems very stable.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *