Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 09:58:34 GMT
From:      khaled <root@master.telia.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SRM rom

In article <Pine.BSF.4.05.9905102352500.447-100000_herring.nlsystems.com@ns.sol.net> you wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 1999, khaled daham wrote:

>> > I just upgraded the firmware on my 164lx. I downloaded the contents of
>> > ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/v5.4/alphapc164lx and used
>> > the SRM 'fwupdate' command. Just put the file lx164_v5_4.exe on a FAT
>> > formatted floppy and rename it to fwupdate.exe, then type 'fwupdate' from
>> > the SRM prompt.  I think you can switch from AlphaBIOS to SRM with this
>> > too.
>>
>> > --
>> > Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
>> > Nonlinear Systems Ltd.			Phone: +44 181 442 9037
>>
>> If it is just the fwupdate then no you cant go from alphabios to srm.
>> srm for LX boards has a price/license , you need a srm-image to use fwupdate ..
>> I however was able to convince ppl at digital to send it to me ,
>> I managed to convince them that i wouldnt use osf/1 just *bsd.
>> So the licensing issue was no longer a problem..
>> this problem only occurs with the LX boards i think. f.e the multia
>> doesnt have this licensing issue and the rom-image can be found at
>> ftp.digital.com ..

> I originally switched from AlphaBIOS to SRM using a rom file which I
> downloaded from ftp.digital.com. I think it might have been in the v5.0
> firmware release.

Well i think i remember that there was a rom file for lx boards before.
But i dont think its there anymore

Below is a snipped from my conversation with digital.
---
#Khaled,

#The Multia was designed by a different group in Digital (now Compaq).  Our
#guidelines are different than theirs.  I'm really not suppose to do this but
#since you going to run FreeBSD and not Digital UNIX I have attached the ROM
#file for the SRM Console V5.3 which you can flash into the ROM from
#AlphaBIOS.

#Regards,

#Karen
---

Here is another snippet.

---
#Khaled,

#The SRM Console license costs $10,000.  However, this is only for companies
#who are building Alpha systems and re-selling them.  If you are using these
#systems for evaluation only you should be all set.

#Regards,

#Karen
---

--
/Khaled, Telia Network Services

:hacker: /n./  [originally, someone who makes furniture with an axe]