Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 01:12:00 +0900
From:      "Masahiro Ariga" <mariga@cd.mbn.or.jp>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Is semaphore workable during soket transfer

My name is Masahiro Ariga.
I have a trouble with Inter Process Comunication(specifically,semaphore).
Would anyone help me ?

Our system is Server-Client model.Server receives commands from Client, and
sends data to Client.
Server receives commands from Client in parent process,and data transfer is
done in child process forked from parent process.
Server uses socket functions,like socket(),select() etc.
It was working fine.

Then there occured the need to hand the received command over to child
process from parent process.
So I am determined to use semaphore for communication between parent and
child process.

I added "option SYSVSEM" line in config file and re-made the kernel and
compiled program.
When I run the program there occured the errors that were never happend
before.

Errors are,
"select:Invalid argument."
and little later
"/kernel:pid 185(vs_lk),uid 0:exited on signal 1"
vs_lk is program's name.

And never transfer data.

Isn't it possible to use semaphore while using socket or select functions?
How should I avoid errors ?

Please enlighten me.

Masahiro Ariga
mariga@cd.mbn.or.jp