Date:      3 May 1997 09:31:45 GMT
From:      "Nickolay N. Dudorov" <nnd@info.itfs.nsk.su>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: divert still broken?

Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com> wrote:

> it is broken..
> garret broke it and we have yet to fix it...

	May be it is possible not only "unbroke" it but
slightly extend it's functionality/usability (not really
an IPDIVERT but 'ipfw' functionality) ?

	It seems to me that IP-traffic monitoring/accounting
can be made more convinient with ipfw rules of type

	add 5000 tee 98 ip from some.net/24 to any out via interf0

wich will differ from

	add 5000 divert 98 ip from some.net/24 to any out via interf0

in not only diverting (copies of)packets to socket 98 but also in allowing
usual processing of this packets (with the next ipfw rules and
normal routing).

	In this case my (yet to be written) monitoring/accounting
program will just read packets from (read-only ?) divert socket 98
not bothering itself with returning packets back to kernel.

	Is such an "idea' feasible ?

	N.Dudorov