Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:11:11 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, asmodia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.3rc2: if=/etc/issue in /etc/gettytab is not respected

* Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net> [010403 14:53] wrote:
> Having this work is critical for many places that mandate a pre-login
> message. I suspect it would be a major problem for most US government
> users. It sure has messed up my plan to install 4.3 on a new name
> server for our network. The security people are remarkably unwilling
> to accept that it will be fixed soon. They want it fixed NOW.
>
> Yes, I can fix it myself by editing the source and it should be fixed
> in stable about 2 hours after stable is released, but many places will
> stick to release come hell or high water and than complain that
> /etc/issue is not working.
>
> While my opinion is not worth much, I do wish this could be
> re-considered.

I was doing to tell you to RTFM about gettytab's alternative to
/etc/issue, but it looks like telnetd got pretty broken somehow in
both -current and -stable wrt per-login banners.  Ie, niether one
seems to work now. :(

It looks like Poul-Henning and Jeroen Ruigrok were the last people
seen in the general vicinity of telnetd/gettytab.  Can we get a helping
hand here guys?

-Alfred