Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 17:50:10 +0200
From:      Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        KDE FreeBSD List <kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] kdemultimedia stomps on graphics/mpeg-lib's .so files

On Monday 08 July 2002 16.01, Robert Watson wrote:
> Sounds like the KDE people should probably just rename their library to
> kdejpeg. :-)  Surely this pops up for people on other platforms too?  How
> is it resolved in Linux?

Ok, I've been doing some investigation, and come up with the following:

The mpeg-lib port has no maintainer (well it's ports@)

The library that the mpeg-lib port installs is abandonware - the last relea=
se=20
was in August 1999 and the author states on the web page cited in pkg-descr=
=20
that it is unmaintained, and he has no interest in keeping it updated. (see=
=20
http://starship.python.net/~gward/mpeglib/ )

The only application we've managed to come up with that actually uses it to=
day=20
is Gimp (however, the gimp-devel port also uses it.)

The KDE mpeglib is actively maintained, (see http://mpeglib.sourceforge.net=
),=20
and has been part of KDE since just after KDE 1.1.2 was released.  However,=
=20
we had it disabled here on FreeBSD until 3.0 was released, because it is=20
threaded, and until this time didn't work very well.  This probably explain=
s=20
why we didn't hit this problem here earlier.  It has, however, occurred on=
=20
Linux for over 2 years, so I'm investigating some of the other solutions.

It's not possible to rename the KDE mpeglib in KDE CVS, because doing so wo=
uld=20
break our commitment to providing binary compatibility for all 3.x versions=
=20
of KDE.  We could rename it there for KDE 4 (which is a very long time away=
)=20
if everyone is amenable.

We could possibly rename it here on FreeBSD, but that would cause binary=20
incompatibility, and would place us back in the difficult situation we had=
=20
before, where third party applications potentially require hackery to get=20
them to compile on FreeBSD. =20

Given that we've done a lot of work for 3.x to make FreeBSD a development=20
friendly KDE platform (something it hasn't really been before now), and=20
because I don't want to be responsible for breaking binary compatibility, I=
'm=20
personally not very happy about renaming our version.=20

Regards,
=2D --=20
Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/