Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 22:54:38 -0800
From:      "FreeBSD" <freebsd@gtonet.net>
To:        "David Bushong" <david@bushong.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: CPU voltage (was Re: load spike strangeness)

<snip>

> Hmm.  lmmon -i produces some scary results:
>
>        Voltages
>
>   Vcore1:   +2.781V
>   Vcore2:   +1.469V
>   + 3.3V:   +3.312V
>   + 5.0V:   +4.932V
>   +12.0V:  +12.250V	<--
>   -12.0V:  -13.125V	<--
>   - 5.0V:   -5.532V	<--
>
> Those look disturbingly off.. maybe this much drift is common, I
> don't know.
> However, I never have any problem with the machine, other than this benign
> occurance..  and I do tend to tax it every now and again (couple ports
> building, world building, mp3 encodes, the usual).  Ack, can't believe I
> forgot to mention I'm running with soft updates enabled on both drives
> (and root).  While I was reading this thread btw, I got another spike, and
> by measuring pixel widths in xload, came up with 30 pixels @ 10
> seconds per
> pixel, or 300 seconds, or exactly 5 minutes, which seems awfully round.
>
> Re: overclocking thing: ok, people, I know it's my machine.  Take a chill
> pill.  I have a very stable CPU, a well ventilated machine, and a
> jumperless
> motherboard that makes it very easy to switch settings.  However,
> as I have
> said, this machine has been rock solid (except for during a few of those
> sketchy 3.1 release ;)  I'll go ahead and try turning off the overclocking
> and see if
> a) it affects the voltage (which does worry me a bit)
> b) I continue to see this load strangeness (I suspect I will)

I never said you couldn't or that you should return it to normal nor am I
bent out of shape, in anyway, with your decision to overclock. I merely
offered it as a possible explanation to your problem until you gave us more
info. I'd be a bit concerned about those voltages too, but hey, that's me.
The 5 minute thing seems strange as well, is it always 5 minutes? I've never
ran softupdates, could that be it?

> --David Bushong

FreeBSD
freebsd@gtonet.net

"LinSUX is only free if your time is worthless"