Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 1995 09:04:10 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Dawson <md@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Alan Danker <thought@teleport.com>, Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pci bus ethernet cards

> There is (at least) one listed - the DEC DC21040/DC21140 based
> cards. Depending on what you want to connect to (10b2, 10bT, 100bTX),
> there are cards available, although I couldn't quote part numbers apart
> from the SMC 9332 which is a 10bT/100bTX card.

I have seen very high (80%) packet loss in a Gateway 2000 P5-75 using
the SMC 9332 card at 100bTx.  SMC tell me it is likely that the
Gateway's PCI bus is not up to specification.  Gateway have yet to
comment on this.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour with this card - does it arise with
all cards based on the 21140 chip?

Mark

p.s.  I should say the 9332 card works perfectly at 10Mb/s and Matt's de
driver is not to blame because packets sent by D*S drivers are also
corrupted.