Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:17:51 -0700
From:      "William R. Somsky" <somsky@annwn.phys.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Examples of FreeBSD SMP success?

We're considering getting several Intel-based machines here in
the UW Physics department for use as desktop work- and computation-
stations, and the question has come up whether we would gain much
by getting dual-CPU (say dual 500 MHZ Pentium-III) as opposed to
single-CPU systems.

The anticipated use where dual-CPUs could help us would probably
be users either running a computation-intensive job (eg, Mathematica),
while simultaneously doing desktop editing/browsing/mailing/TeXing/etc,
or running two computation- intensive jobs.  (We don't expect that
Mathematica or any user job will be multi threaded.)

What I've been asked to find out what the state of FreeBSD SMP
support is, and if anyone has any real-world examples of using
dual-CPUs under FreeBSD that might be similar to this sort of
situation and what the results have been.

Being as that I've not tried multi-processing under FreeBSD yet,
does anybody have any input I can give to my users?