Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:24:50 -0400
From:      Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        maniattb@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Dual Processor Motherboards

Hello There:

I apologize if you have seen this already in freebsd-hardware, but
I thought this forum might be appropriate for this sort of discussion
as well.

I was looking to make an affordable, yet high performance home machine
using a dual processor board.  I want to be able to run the most recent
stable release, and was going to get Intel based processors.  I would
like the processors to be fairly speedy, say 400-500 MHZ.  Since I'm going
to live with the system for quite a while, I might want it to be kind
of fast (but not prohibitively expensive).

I had the following questions:
1) Do people have specific recommendations about boards to buy/don't buy?
2) A local vendor is pushing Soyo boards at a $239 which is below the $400+
   prices I have seen quoted for an AsusTek P2B-DS board.  I assume they
   mean a SY-D6IBA or SY-D6IBA2.  Anybody have any experiences with such
   a board?
3) Multiple people in the hardware mailing list suggested the ABIT BP6 for
   dual Celeron machines (overclocking 300 MHZ processors).  Another also
   mentioned (but had not tried) the MSI 6120 board.

Regards:

Bill Maniatty
--
Dr. William (Bill) A. Maniatty