Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:32:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Hans de Hartog <dehartog@mail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to enable modem from PCMCIA-card?

Happily running 4.1.1 on laptop (Digital HiNote VP 500 series).
Trying to use combo-PCMIA card 3C562D/3C563D which is recognized
by pccardd with "out of the box" pccard.conf (NIC is disabled
but I'm interested in the modem first).
However, after seeing the card, sio4 is "configured" which is
not in my kernel (GENERIC has sio0 up to an including sio3).
Adding "device sio4" in my kernel configuration doesn't help.
In general, if you include sio0 thru sio<n> in the kernel, the
card "adds" sio<n+1>. Did MAKEDEV sio<whatever is needed>.
Symptom is always the same: complete hang (only the physical
button works) as soon as I try to use the /dev/sio?
Perused the archives; symptom occurred before. No final solution.
Now what? Do an explicit "device sio4 on pccard0 ..." or so?
Should not be necessary IMHO.

Thanks for you time and effort (especially this "freezing" time
of the year).

Hans de Hartog