Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:45:47 +0200
From:      d e a t h <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        youlgok@attglobal.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Email & DHCP

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 12:44:53AM -0500, youlgok@attglobal.net wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD-3.3-stable box, which is connected to the net by DHCP.
> It has dynamic IP address and I don't know how to set up with mail.  I
> can't find anything
> useful from Handbook.

Having a dynamic IP is not much different than dialup to your local
ISP, so any section that refer to dialup in the handbook should be of
some help.

Setting up mail transfer to find it's way "up" to your ISP's smart
relay host, is done differently in each MTA.  If you're using the BSD's
bundled sendmail you need the options

    MASQUERADE_AS(`your.isp.com')dnl
    FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl

which is also described in the handbook/FAQ, for dialup setup of
sendmail.  From the FAQ you want to read

    Q: How do I set up mail with a dialup connection to the 'net?

If, on the other hand you're using that other popular MTA, qmail, you
can get away with a properly set up /var/qmail/control/smtproutes, i.e:

    .local.domain:
    :smart.isp.relay

You'll probably want to install a caching named too, to make sure that
the MX records for local.domain. point to your own smtp server.  But
this is another thing.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]