Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:58:56 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A question and a suggestion about loadable modules

Hello,
Someone suggested this may be the right list for this.

- Has consideration in the loadable modules implementation been given
  to a module dependency facility, in the manner of "depmod" in Linux ?
  So that any module loaded will automagically load modules it depends
  on to run ?
- I have reported in a PR a problem with drm_kmod from the ports. During
  my experiments at getting this to work I noticed diffferent behaviour
  when I loaded the agp module via loader.conf (or as a pseudo-device
  entry in the kernel configuration file), and when I loaded it via
  a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. In the first case subsequent loading
  of the "mga" (drm_kmod) module initialised successfuly, in the latter
  case it complained. This appears to show to me an unsuspected
  sensitivity to the point in the boot process a loadable module
  is loaded. Is this to be expected ? If so, then it should probably be
  documented.

  Thanks for your time.
  Please CC: me any reply.

--