Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:55:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Noor Dawod <noor@comrax.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL and 4.0-STABLE.

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Noor Dawod wrote:

> The compilation gets stuck at the following line:
>
> c++ -DMYSQL_SERVER                      -DDEFAULT_MYSQL_HOME="\"/usr/local\"
> "                   -DDATADIR="\"/mysql\""        -DSHAREDIR="\"/usr/local/s
> hare/mysql\""                  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I./../include
>    -I./../regex          -I. -I../include -I.. -I.    -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D
> _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O3 -DDBUG_OFF   -fno-implicit-te
> mplates -DMYSQLD_NET_RETRY_COUNT=1000000  -c sql_yacc.cc
>
> When I say stuck, it means that the c++ compiler works for 10 minutes
> without ending the compilation of the file, and in top I can see that c++ is
> using malloc() and free() as the memory usage is changing as time
> progresses. The compilation of this file takes a bit long, but not 10
> minutes. Pressing Ctrl+C stops the compilation at once.

See the -ports list archives for previous discussions of this problem.  In
particular, it appears to be a bug/problem with gcc's optimizations.  If
you use -O0 (oh-zero) for optimization on the file (or use the port which
does this), it will compile fine.

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org