Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 2020 16:11:24 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org>
Cc:        Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org>,  RW via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org> writes:

> Thanks. I gave up resp. I abandoned. It is too difficult (to me at least) to figure out, how
> to configure binutils to build
> gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2
> <https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.9/4.9-2015-q1-update/+download/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2>;
> (md5
> <https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.9/4.9-2015-q1-update/+download/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2/+md5>)
> from it.

Do you need that specific version?

If not, the devel/binutils port with the arm-none-eabi flavor will build
it for you. I can't find the user documentation for using flavors at the
moment, but
 # make -C /usr/ports/devel/binutils FLAVOR=arm_none_eabi install
should do it, or the equivalent for your build system (e.g.
 # portmaster devel/binutils@arm_none_eabi
will also work).

If you do need the specific version, then the (some would say optional)
first step is to badmouth the person forcing you to use a specific old
version. After you've done that, you can either change the port or build
it by hand. Both are fairly simple: the first involves changing the
tarfile name in the Makefile and distinfo, while the second involves
unpacking the tarball and following the README instructions, which will
generally lead you to a 2-line command invocation.

Good luck.